Monday, July 5, 2010

CAMP Glow and Hekame

I apologize if anyone was bothered by my last blog. I know sometimes some of the things I say are sort of on the downer side, but I just want to speak the truth. Everything I said is what actually happens here. It is very difficult for women and girls and I want people to be aware that Africa is not all love and beauty.

On the flipside a couple weeks ago I participated in a camp for girls called Camp GLOW (girls leading our world). There were speakers and volunteers who educated 49 girls on issues such as: AIDS, sexual harrassment, forced marriage, hygeine, good study skills, health and reproduction, healthy eating, as well as making crafts and playing soccer (which they don't usually get to play because they are doing housework or the boys will not include them in their games). We also did not let the girls do any "house work" such as sweeping, which the staff did, and washing dishes and cleaning up, which we did. I think it was good because it gave them more time to think and just interact and laugh with other girls.

Because of allergies I got a bad cold which has mostly cleared now after lots of sleep. I also took a girl to the hospital who had sickle cell anemia (not a bone disease like she told us). She told us that a medicinal healer performed "gregorie" or vodoun ceremonies on her and it has hurt more since then. Really it has probably gotten more painful and had nothing to do with the vodoun. Anyways, they gave her ibueprofin and some other drug at the hospital. I found out that in the states when the pain is really bad like it was for her they give morphine injections. All in all, I am glad I am covered by US healthcare and will be shipped out of country if anything serious were to happen to me. The hospitals here have rats and there are not enough beds for everyone. Also, the latrines are the most disgusting I have seen in Benin. Okay granted this was a public hospital, private healthcenters have to be in better shape because they rely on their clients for money, not the government.

I have also been working with a groupement in Hekame, training the nuns at the healthcenter to run a savings and loan club with their patients. Every two weeks they meet and give money to the caisse and eventually we will start giving loans. I am not going to go frequently to this place because they are not in my commune and it takes a long time to get to the village, but I am going to keep in touch and do check ups to see that things are functioning well.

Emotionally: Recently I have been getting a little homesick. People from the stage before us are looking forward to leaving and the next group of volunteers/trainees are arriving. I don't desire to leave but I look forward someday to being able to date again and hold meaningful conversations/pretty much just having a regular social life where I can hang out with friends and family. I think these feelings come in spurts here and there when I am alone and have time to think and pray for people back home. I have found things and people and opportunities that I love about Benin, but I have realized how American I really am. I also love community living, aka roommates/cooking meals together. This is my first experience living alone; I like the ability to have my space if I need a break from the culture but I miss people. I like to walk around alot here. Anyways. I like my coworkers, my work partners, i love my friends and the kids; I can't wait to get back to village to see my neighbors new baby. I let you see a little bit of my heart but i will try to not to complain much. I am happy and content here and I most of the time at peace. Okay love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment